Ecology (distribution, diversity, resistance, resilience, niches, selection, adaptation) of microbes (nitrifiers, methanotrophs, methanogens, sulphate reducers, iron oxidisers, archaea) in water-saturated soils and sediments. The main research questions addressed are:
- What is the role of microbial diversity in geochemical cycling?
- Does microbial diversity play a role in resistance and resilience of microbial communities against perturbations?
- Impact of herbivory on methane cycling in wetlands
- What is the importance of methane as energy source in aquatic foodwebs?
- Can microbial functional groups be used as bio-indicators?